Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer in the United States. Ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun is the main cause of skin cancer. UV damage can also cause wrinkles and blotches or spots on your skin. The good news is that skin cancer can be prevented, and it can almost always be cured when it’s found and treated early.
Care Medical Group is proud to participate in Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month. During the month of May, join us in taking action to prevent skin cancer and reduce the risk of UV damage.
- “Each year more than 3.5 million cases of skin cancer are diagnosed in the US, over 90 percent of which are caused by the sun’s ultraviolet rays (UVR). Similarly, most of the skin damage we associate with aging – wrinkles, sagging, leathering, and discoloration – is UVR-related. This damage is cumulative. So, whenever you venture out in the sun, be smart about it.” (Skin Cancer Foundation)
Take simple steps today to protect your skin:
- Stay out of the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Use sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher.
- Cover up with long sleeves and a hat.
- Check your skin regularly for changes.
For more information, visit Care Medical Group in Bellingham, WA or call 360-734-4300.